Highly Recommended Resources:
- Last Things – Resources & Information for Alternatives at the end of life – including Maine Practitioners
- Endwell – A Movement to create a cultural shift to normalize conversations about mortality throughout life. Their platform supports new collaborations, systems, protocols, products and fosters new and existing networks of support to make the end of life more human centered for all.
- Good Ground Great Beyond – is 63 acres in the Midcoast region aimed at becoming a memorial park and scattering garden as well as a contemplative hermitage and location for a legal, public, open air cremation pyre. Their website offers further information & resource links as well.
- The Maine Chapter of Twilight Wish Foundation – 65 and older make a wish organization – giving back to deserving Maine Seniors one wish at time.
- Sea Change Chorale – A local choir that sings in efforts to promote social justice and create a sense of community in Southern Maine through music and supporting other organization’s inspiring work.
- LongWorld Services – A National Service that can assist with wrapping up all necessary details after a loved on passes – this is a pretty incredible service especially when friends/family are out of state and an estate needs to be dispersed after a death. Check it out!
- Last Dance Shrouds – Dina is an amazing woman and resource in this work and her shrouds are GORGEOUS! If you want to learn more about options for shrouding or just about shrouds in general, check out her site! What an incredible way to honor the person you love with a beautiful personal touch!
- Death Talk LA – The Newest Game in Town for exploring your mortality and talking about death in the Lewiston/Auburn Area – Check out their exciting upcoming events!
Shiny Awesome Things to Check Out – (These may not all be available in your area yet)
- Parting Stones – Have Cremains turned into beautiful memory stones
- Recompose – Ecological, Participatory and reverential death care.
- Caitlin Doughty – Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Preorder! – Her newest book will hit the shelves before you know it! This girl is hot, and not just because she’s standing in a crematorium.
- Orphan Wisdom – The wisdom & teachings of Stephen Jenkinson
Maine physician order for Life Sustaining Treatment – POLST
Advanced Directive and Conversation Starters
- The Conversation Project – multiple languages
- Five wishes
- Maine legal services
- MaineHealth Advanced Directive Form (same form as Maine Legal Services)
- Go Wish
- Morbid Curiosity – A Fabulous little game for opening up conversations about death, dying and all your end of life wants, wishes and desires.
- Alkaline hydrolysis – More Information
- Consumer Choice/Advocacy/General Information
- Direct Cremation
- Green burial
- Maine Green Cemetery – Cedarbrook Burial Ground, Limington, ME
- Green Burial Council
- The Manitou Project – Vermont
- A Will for the Woods
- Last Things – A Resource List for knowledgeable resources and links on Home Funeral & Green Burial in Maine
- Funeral Consumer’s Alliance of Maine – Links and Resources for Funeral Planning in Maine including specific information on Green Burial options
- Green Burial Naturally – Link to ordering a state-by-state guide to green burial
- Home Funeral Options
- Traditional Funeral Homes/services
- Whole body donation
- Love Becomes Grief, Becomes Breath – Amanda Carr
- Justin Black @ Bereaving.net – Check out his story and his site! Below are some other recommended articles and links from him!
- Complicated grief: How to find joy again
- How to Create a Peaceful At-Home Hospice for Your Loved One
- Coping with Terminal Illness
- The Emotional and Psychological Effects of Cancer
- When You Know You Will Soon Lose Your Pet: The Experience of Anticipatory Grief
- Helping Yourself Heal When Your Child Dies
- Bereavement & Grief Guide – This is a solid resource created by Churchill Insurance for information on what to expect in the grief process and some good ideas on how to work through elements of grief.
Maine Hospice/Palliative Care – General Resources & Home Hospice Services
- Androscoggin Home Care & Hospice
- Beacon Hospice/Amedysis
- Hospice of Southern Maine & Gosnell
- Maine Hospice Council
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHCPO)
- Northern Light Home Care & Hospice – Formerly VNA
Maine & New Hampshire Hospice Houses
- Gosnell Memorial Hospice House – Scarborough, Maine (Part of Hospice of Southern Maine)
- Androscoggin Hospice House – Lewiston, Maine (Part of Andrscoggin Home Health & Hospice)
- Sussman House – Rockport, Maine (Part of Androscoggin Home Health & Hospice)
- Aroostook House of Comfort – Presque Isle, Maine (Part of Northern Light Health)
Other Misc Maine and National Resources & Links to Services
- University of Maine Center on Aging
- Southern Maine Agency on Aging – Links for Information on Local Programs and Resources for Seniors
- Maine Council on Aging
- Tristate Learning Collaborative
- The EndWell Project
- End of Life University – Karen Wyatt
- New York Open Center
- International End of Life Doula Association
- When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi
- Being Mortal – Atul Guwande
- Die Wise – Stephen Jenkinson
Living! Charities, experiences and opportunities!
- Death Cafe – talk about it!
- Twilight Wish – 65 and older make a wish foundation
- Sea Change Chorale – A local choir that sings in efforts to promote social justice and create a sense of community.
- Harbour Singers – A Choir Group of singers who bring music to the bedside of those on hospice
- Portland Wheelers – Portland Wheelers is focused on people living with significant disabilities and our unique way of getting them outdoors for therapeutic recreation, adventure, and fun.
- Do it For The Love – A wish granting charity that works to connect people with terminal or life-threatening illness with their favorite musicians and artists.
Thought Provoking/conversation starters:
- Kate Braestrup – Grief, Perspectives on Loss & Death
- “The House of Mourning” by Kate Braestrup . (13:20, https://themoth.org/st
- Synchronized Swimming Funeral – Re-thinking Funerals!
- Cathy Zheutlin – Living While Dying
- Immortal We Aint
- Ted Talks:
- Bj Miller
- Matthew O Reilly
- “What Makes Life Worth Living in the Face of Death” by Lucy Kalanithi (Her husband Paul wrote the book “Breath Becomes Air”, 16:10, https://www.ted.com/tal
ks/lucy_kalanithi_what_makes_ life_worth_living_in_the_face_ of_death/)
- The Fish” poem by Mary Oliver (0:35 – 1:30, https://vimeo.com/113842
21 ) The first reading on a 45 minute video
- “Acceptance of Death” by Alan Watts (3:56, https://youtu.be/qK1BJk
- In the Parlor” by Heidi Boucher (8:59, https://vimeo.com/43712
288 ) This is the trailer.
- “Helping a Friend Through Grief” by Caitlin Doughty (6:58, http://www.orderofthego
oddeath.com/helping-friend- grief )
- Stephen Jenkinson – Grief Walker
- “The Meaning of Death” by Stephen Jenkinson . (6:12, https://www.youtube.co
- “The Coffinmaker” by Marcus Daly (3:40, https://www.youtube.com
- “The Art of Natural Death Care” by Katelyn LaGrega (27:38, https://vimeo.com/2203
Death With Dignity – Legislation & Discussion
- Maine Death With Dignity Website – information on Maine’s Death With Dignity Law which enacted and became available to the public on September 19, 2019!
- Links to Necessary Death With Dignity forms for Patients & Healthcare Providers – click on Forms and scroll down the page
VSED – Voluntary Stopping of Eating & Drinking – Resources, Information & Discussion
- Thaddeus Pope on VSED – discussions, links, ethics, guides
- VSED Experience Video – Thank you Tracy & Jack for Sharing your Journey
- Severe Dementia Advanced Directives (VSED Advanced Directives)
- New York Times Article on VSED
Disease Specific Resources/Links
- TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors)
- Veteran’s Affairs
- We Honor Veteran’s – Liason Program between Hospices & VA
Medicinal Cannabis Information & Links
- Healer.com – an online repository of information about medicinal cannabis and fee-based online course in medicinal cannabis use and dosing.
- Mark Bushey Compassion Program for Hospice Patients – A Maine Based Program to assist end of life patients with medicinal marijuana use understanding, regimen and subsidized supply. Promoting comfort at end of life.
- Wellness Connection of Maine – A Maine Medicinal Cannabis Dispensary who runs the Mark Bushey Compassion Program for Hospice Patients. The site contains information about the dispensary and products and also education on medicinal cannabis.
- A Connecticut Hospice Working to Prove the Value of Medicinal Cannabis in Hospice Care through research
- An article on the difficulties of medicinal cannabis availability due to current conflicting federal and state laws
- An Article from Pathways Health – About medicinal cannabis in relation to reducing opiod use.
- A 2015 Pallimed article – on Medicinal Cannabis in the hospice setting.
- A 2018 Study of perceptions and understanding of medicinal cannabis in the Healthcare Professions.